If you have ever thought about helping your local rescue, or if you are looking for a way to give back to your community, donating to a rescue is a great way to do so. Rescues operate solely from donations, so anything and everything you donate is welcomed and appreciated. There are some items that are commonly needed and requested by a rescue:
- Food; dog food, cat food, whatever the rescue you’re supporting will need to be fed. If you can, pick up dry food and/ or wet food. There is also a need for food for animals of all ages; puppies all the way to senior dogs; kittens, all the way to senior cats, etc.
- Blankets; blankets are always needed. Blankets serve many purposes, including lining crates and beds for keeping animals warm, for puppies or young kittens, for cleaning up, for transportation, and for comfort.
- Toys; dogs and cats need constant stimulation, and the dogs which come from abuse, neglect, and unfortunate circumstances, may not be used to having toys. Toys may include stuffed animals, squeaky toys, chew toys, balls, noisy toys, etc. These are a great way to bring joy to these animals, and to help them learn to interact with each other and with their surroundings.
- Crates, litter boxes, etc.; these items are expensive, and can be hard to come by. If you have ever had a puppy, young dog, cat, hamster, or any sort of pet that required a crate, cage or litter box, your old items can be extremely useful to rescue animals.
- Money; Money may seem obvious but can help, even just the smallest amount. Often, rescues can get food and supplies for less than what we pay at the store, and so your dollar goes farther than your donation in some cases.